How to measure your head for your hat size
It is easier if you have someone help ou measure. Have fun!
1. Measure your head circumference
- Locate a soft (sewing) tape measure (or a length of string that you can then hold up to a ruler or tape measure) to determine the length.
- Place the tape or string around your head a finger width above your ear, across the forehead 1-2 fingers above your brows, completely encircling your head.
- Hold the tape firmly, but not too tight. How do you want your hat to feel on your head? The tape must sit exactly where you want the hat to sit in order to get the correct measurement.
2. Measure your crown height
2. Crown shape
Look at your forehead in a mirror. Basic hats are generally made as a Round Crown unless custom so the way they fit referenced below are based on round crown.
Forehead looks very rounded on the front but back looks flat from the side view. Hat will have no pressure points.
Forehead looks rounded but the forehead is drawn out just a little more and the back looks as round as the front. Hat will fit tighter on sides.
Forehead looks like an indentation at the temples and the forehead seem to be coming forward more. Hat will fit tighter front to back or loose on the sides.
Extra Long Oval
Forehead looks very tall, temples dip in and forehead comes out further. Hat will fit tighter front to back or loose on the sides.